Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 May 2015

Eurovision - What A Final!


Eurovision - What A Final!

Unfortunately, Saturday marked the final of Eurovision, meaning no more for a year. Obviously, being me, I have some quite strong opinions on the final, so here we go!

First all, I have to ask the question, Austria, what we're you playing at? The hosting of the entire thing was absolutely awful! The questions the acts were asked were abysmal, the "jokes" made were about as funny as suicide, and whenever the voting went wrong, which it did 3 TIMES, the two of them stood there for a few seconds, staring into the camera lens.....lost.

Ad lib, apologise, do SOMETHING to waste time whilst you call the next country!

I reckon I could have done a better job than the 3 of them combined...

Now, onto the performances. Nadav of Israel sang a song called "Golden Boy". The beginning of the song I found was very boring, and just too slow, compared to the rest of the song which was very upbeat and lively, once the chorus kicked in.

Now, I don't know who choreographed this performance, but whoever it was needs a kick up the backside. The dance, if you could call it that, was pathetic. Overall, I give Israel a 7/10.

Do I dare talk about the UK? Oh go on then, however, I warn you now, if you enjoyed the UK's entry, I advise you to skip this part.

I'll begin with the song in general. I've said in a previous post of my general dislike of the cringeworthy lyrics, and AWFUL scat singing, but the live performance was even worse, if that's possible. Alex was horrifically out of tune, leaving Bianca to try to pick up the pieces. Unfortunately, she failed.

Obviously, being the UK, we tried to incorporate some kind of gimmick, to get noticed. We lit up the clothes.

We lit up the clothes.

The clothes lit up.

Ughhhhhhh....

This performance can be added to the long list of why the rest of the world hates us. 2/10, the points being pity points.

Now, onto Australia's preformance. The newcomers to Eurovision mustered a respectable 5th place overall, although, over other performances, I don't believe they deserved it. It sounded a lot like "Golden Boy" and just had nothing to it, which made it dull. 3/10

Russia's performance of "A Million Voices" was sung beautifully by Polina, although she really looked like she'd just left her own wedding quickly to sing. At the end of her performance, she burst into tears, probably scared to death that if she didn't win, she'd be shot by Putin. 6/10

We're here for you, Polina.

Russia came second, taking the lead during the first half of voting, to the fear of most Eurovision fans, considering the scene if the world's Gayest competition came to the world's most homophobic country.

May I also mention the tolerance of queen Conchita, who sat with Polina in Russia's section throughout the voting.


Who said Eurovision is about politics?* *It is
Il Volo performed for Italy, and achieved third place. Now this song really didn't appeal to me, but I've never been a fan of opera. The staging for me was also VERY boring, and had no aesthetic appeal whatsoever. This song deserved to be on the left hand side of the score board, but definitely not third. 5/10




Here's the scoreboard in full. Sort of.

These are the scores including F.Y.R Macedonia and Montenegro's votes. You see, a few hours after the contest ended, the two countries votes were disqualified, as their results were made up of 100% televotes, instead of 50% televotes, and 50% jury votes. This changes the numbers a bit.



Måns of Sweden easily won, being 65 points ahead of second place. I believe "Heroes" is a well deserved winner as it was beautifully staged, well choreographed, and, in general, a well written, catchy song, still in my head as I write. Currently second in the list of popular songs on my Kindle, it's the 6th win of Sweden, since Loreen's "Euphoria" 9/10.

Now, I will be lost without the Eurovision buzz, and shall now proceed to cry in the corner until next year's.



No comments:

Post a Comment