Search This Blog

Saturday 14 March 2015

Eurovision 2015 - What the hell?

Eurovision - An Overview - UPDATE

By the way, yes, I know I'm a bit of a Eurovision geek, but it's something I enjoy, just let me be happy, Ok!?

Eurovision 2015 fast approaches, prompting every county participating to release their entry. After Conchita Wurst, representing Austria won last year's competition, this year's is to be held in Vienna, the capital of Austria.

If you haven't yet seen the UK entry, I highly recommend you stay clear of any situation or circumstance in which the song could be broadcast to you, considering it is THE worst song ever. And I'll tell you why.

BBC thought this year they'd go for an "electro swing" vibe. Big mistake. What country, in its right mind, would vote for an atrociously cheesy song, that clearly needs a boot up the backside back to the 20's, were it belongs?

We've got about as much chance of winning as Leonardo DiCaprio does at winning an Oscar..

So, cheers BBC! How about next time, you let VIEWERS vote next time, instead of the 90 year olds you probably had on the panel voting with you, then, we might get some real talent...

That will be all.

ADD ON 6/5/15

So, after going back, after a long mental prep, I listened to the ENTIRE song, in order to properly analyse it.

I feel, if they had brought down the electric vibe of the song more, and made the lyrics less cringy, I reckon it could of been ok. The way they've put the synthesizer and violin together hasn't worked either, and it really wouldn't take long for someone to go back and change that, would it?

Perhaps this year, the UK have decided we do not want to host in 2016, and brought out the worst song imaginable (well, other than Josh in 2010, and Sooch in 2007)

Moving on, I believe 3 countries this year have really made good songs. Slovenia, The Netherlands, and Latvia.

I really like the track to the Slovenian song, but not so much the style of vocals, they seen too high for the song to me. 8 points from me!

Latvia's song is literally the coolest song I've ever heard. At the beginning, I really thought it was rubbish, but I listened through the song, and the rhythms really work well together. If I'm being honest though, I do feel a bit jealous, as i've genuinely wanted to write a song like this for years, but have never been able to make it work. 12 points from me!

"Walk along" by The Netherlands is something different from the other entries, as the instruments are not computerised, which makes the song more laid back, and easy on the ears. The vocals are great, and the chorus is catchy. 10 points from me!

To finish with, my top 5 Eurovision entries EVER!

1) Euphoria - Loreen - 2012: Everything about this song is amazing. The track, the vocals, the choreography, and just Loreen in general <3. It could easily be called the best song in Eurovision history. The lyrics are especially beautiful, and have meaning to me, and I love it!

2) Algo Pequeñito - Daniel Diges - 2010: I love the theme of this song, as well as all of the little details put into the choreography and track. Although Jimmy Jumps stage invasion made me laugh whilst watching, respect to the dancers and Daniel for carrying on and ignoring the invasion (the Ragdoll couldn't grab the ballerina's hand at one point as he was in the way!) Amazing live vocals from Daniel too.

 I feel like this song should have come a lot higher than it did in 2010, and whilst we're talking about 2010, I really don't think "satellite" deserved to win, considering the stage choreography and live vocals were so terrible..

3) Diva - Dana International - 1998: I don't know what it is about Dana, but i just love her for her, I think she's amazing! (The stage name Dana international is awesome too!). I think the vocals could of used work, and her microphone turned up, but I especially love the tempo change part of the way through the song as well.

4) Rise Like A Phoenix - Conchita Wurst - 2014 This song is beautiful, as there's so many different meanings to it, so anyone can interpret it how they like. I believe the main message, is that anyone can do/be who/ what they want, you just have to "rise like a Phoenix". The track was beautifully composed, and wasn't Conchita's gown awesome? :D

5) My Slowianie (We Are Slavic) - Donatan and Cleo - 2014 I like the live performance of this song for comedic reasons. (You'll know if you saw it!) As well as this, the presentation of the message in this song is so cleverly conveyed in my opinion.

 It was said on a YouTube video (I take no credit) that it's almost ingenious what they've done. Political voting is a known feature of Eurovision (Countries voting for each other because of government, and voting for neighbouring countries BECAUSE they're neighbours), but what Poland have done, is reached out to that aspect. They've tried to be nationalistic, but in a way that includes more than their own country. Slavic is a term used for people of "Eastern European" decent and origin (Danish, Polish, Russian, to name a few) and in their song, they basically described girls from there to be the best.

 They also did part of the song in English, part of it in Polish, in order to keep with the national vibe, but to reach out to all.

I now leave you with this image:

A moment of hope and unity, as the contest's first transgender winner Dana International, and the first drag winner Conchita Wurst sing "Waterloo" with hands linked.



No comments:

Post a Comment