Search This Blog

Thursday 26 March 2015

What The Teachers Aren't Taught


What The Teachers Aren't Taught

Now, quite obviously, I respect the fact that teachers, in order to become teachers, have to go through years of training, in order to qualify to be a teacher. Unfortunately, in the 3-4, or however many years your training was, You all seem to fail in one aspect. Dynamics of a class.

By dynamics of a class, I mean our status in the class, sort of a "role" or position we've been indirectly assigned. Some, will be the loudmouths, who could talk for England. Some will be the class clowns. Some will just be quiet, knowing they won't be heard over the rest of the commotion.

Unfortunately, the majority of teachers are far from knowledge of even the existence of this, and will automatically assume that loudness is the norm, and the quiet ones just "aren't trying hard enough".

I can assure you, this isn't the case.

I, myself feel I settle in between these three roles, sometimes breaking a joke when given a chance, sometimes just shooting out my opinions when I've had enough of the kids that just think they know it all, just to show them they're not better then me, and that I do have confidence in myself. 

Every. Single. Time. I. Try. I'm. Overlooked.

The teachers are still marvelling at what someone else said, to hear my opinions, which is why I write them down here, so, at least they're acknowledged by someone.

Here, let me put it into a representation. Here's a volume bar.




As you can see, there's absolutely no way you're going to be able to hear anything from the mice, as the motormouths are just far too overpowering. Solution? Turn down the motormouths. Yeah, just tell them to shut up, and hope for the best. You can't just leave it to the mice to pipe up, even if they get to average, they still won't be heard over the deafening volume. 

Next step, is to help the mice to get their confidence up. They're not instantly going to speak up, and get their opinions out there, they'll need help, and support, which it is YOUR job to supply. Encourage them, pick them when they put their hand up in class, include them in debates and discussions, detach yourself from some of the conversations you might have with the motormouths, and strike up one with a mouse.

I'm not saying ignore the motormouths, so that they can become mice, just give an equal amount of attention to the mice, as you do them.






No comments:

Post a Comment