Search This Blog

Monday 18 August 2014

Avril Lavigne- Ka-Ka-Ka-Whyyyy!?

Avril Lavigne- Ka-ka-ka-Whyyyy!?

As some of you may know, recently, "punk-rock" singer Avril Lavigne has released a new song, "Hello Kitty" . This video shows Avril, in Japan singing about fat kids on Smarties, and "Kawaii".
Click here to watch Avril Lavigne-Hello Kitty

With a current 47,947,480 views, as of today, this video has definitely had it's fair share of clicks, and is Avril's tenth most viewed video on her vevo. My question is, why?

With some respect to Avril, this (I hope) could just be a funny phase, and soon, she will be back to her normal self, rather than dancing in a cupcake tutu.

Whilst on the subject, I feel that her outfit in the vid needs to be ad-dressed (see what I did there). The whole design of it generally looks as if it had been puked on by a unicorn, with the baby pink body colour, and random confectionery foods scattered around it. A lot of people think it is childish, however, I definitely would not like my child to roam around in a dress so short, in fact, I bet the dancers in background got a great view, which serves as an explanation for their constant poker faces throughout the video.
 
Avril Lavigne-Hello Kitty

Next of all, the lyrics. "Minna siako arigato, ka ka ka kawaii" a reoccurring phrase throughout the song is roughly translated to "thanks, you're the best and cute" is a phrase used by some J-pop singers to thank their audiences after a show. Whether Avril was literally thanking us, saying we're the best, and calling us cute or trying to act J-pop was a mystery, however, my money's on J-pop considering where the video is set and the theme, Japan. The rest of the lyrics aren't much better, as she mentions "spin the bottle", the infamous childhood game in which one player would spin a bottle, and kiss or hug, or whatever, whoever the top of the bottle landed on. She also mentions rolling around in underwear, pinky swears and text talks, by using the phrase "OMFG".

Generally, the whole song to me, says "please help me, my career is dead, I need attention", and makes me feel as if an emotionally unstable person directed it, with a five year old running costume department, and programmed robots to dance and the background.

Job well done Avril, you've definitely got people talking about you, next time, try and make it a positive thing? :)

Click here for Bart Baker's parody of "Hello Kitty"
Click here for Shane Dawson's parody of "Hello Kitty"


18/8/14

No comments:

Post a Comment